Wednesday, May 18, 2011

randomness

5/17/11:  One last follow up appointment with the family practice.  Nurse and cancer survivor D says to me:  "One thing I forgot to tell you about side effects from chemo....is that you will....develop.....a very........sick......sense of humor."
"Well, I already have that.  So what's next?"
"Oh, you will be just wicked."

5/18/11:  Yearly appointment at the eye doctor.  "Any new meds?" she says to me.  "Oh, some Vitamin D and just some chemo next week for a little tiny stage 3 cancer...but otherwise, no changes...haha!"  Funny, dropping that bomb will get you out of any inconvenient waiting situation, and compels otherwise cold and distant people to randomly hug and kiss you.  In and out of the office in under 30 minutes.  A record.  Would that line get me front row tickets at some great sold out show?  A table at the hottest nightspot?         

5/18/11:  Consult with the wig lady (wigist?) - A small studio in the back of her home tucked away off a winding country road.  Small room with shelves of hundreds of styrofoam heads staring at me.  "well," says the wigist, "this is going to be easier than you thought."
"Why's that?"
"Well you have a REALLY BIG head.  It's going to narrow down your choices a bit.  Um, a lot"  
In a strange way I was sort of relieved.  Still, hundreds of ways to change your look.  Channel your inner Morticia Adams.  Liberace.  Dolly Parton.  Donald Trump.  I was left to try on four that came in the largest size commercially made.  In the end I chose one that nearly matched my real hair.  Needs a trim.  The girls approved.  It's all fun and dress up for them.  For a whole 90 minutes, I forget the real reason why I had to be there.  I started to think about the benefits of fake hair:
- No grays!
- No bad hair days!  Although, I might have a few bad no hair days.
- No more humid frizzies!
- No more flat irons!

And finally, in response to my asking Ella where the missing piece of her puzzle went, declared:
"Don't fall into pieces, Mama...no falling"
"No no, I won't sweetie.  No way."  
How'd my two year old get to be so wise?    

2 comments:

  1. The wig lady you visited...is her wig shop in her house? I remember my mom went to a wig lady and she had alittle shop in her house.

    Wigs have come a very long way since I had one. You will look marvelous darling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx R! Yes it is. She had a storefront for a while, then closed it and moved it into the back of her house. It still feels like I'm playing dress up.

    ReplyDelete