Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I'm not alone


The chemo haze has lifted, hopefully. Gentle waves of nausea, fatigue, restlessness and weird phantom pain in hindsight were quite manageable. Not unlike a bad Sunday morning hangover combined with the flu combined with a good dose of humid Jersey summer weather. I'll pass on the sandy shore and the sausage and pepper sandwiches for now. I laid down for a short nap and when I woke, summer arrived.
 

I knew that I wasn't alone when it came to the diagnosis of cancer. What I really discovered is that I am also not alone in terms of the people who have dropped everything to come to my and my family's aid. With kind words and thoughts. With supportive offers to help. For just being there. With genuine understanding and compassion that I guarantee will not be dismissed or trivialized. I am blown away with the graces of others we have received over the last few weeks. A remarkable gesture from an old dear friend follows. While we lost touch for a number of years, Kim sat behind me in calculus in high school...I am overwhelmed and simply beyond words. And, I know that I am incredibly fortunate to have this love and caring all around me. The one redeeming element in my fight is that everything will be worth it if even one less person will never have to withstand this journey. Thank you so much Kim for your wonderful gesture. Many others thank you as well!
 


I didn't need another reason

by Kimberly Shenefiel Kuhne on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 10:34am
Hello Friends!

I am participating in my 4th Susan G Komen 3-Day
for the Cure event this September. I first did the event in 2001 to honor my
grandmother and aunt and other family members that have beat this disease. In
2008, I started doing this for my kids. They lost their great-grandfather to
cancer and I don’t want them to lose another family member to this disease.  In 2010 I started doing this event for the
sake of future treatment options for other types of cancer our family is likely
to face. By the end of  2010, I knew so
many people that have beaten cancer or are still fighting, that I committed to participating
in the 3-Day until a cure is found for breast cancer.

So you can see, I really didn’t need another reason to take
part in the Susan G Komen 3-Day for the Cure. Unfortunately, the powers that be
thought otherwise. In May, a friend from high school wrote to tell me that
doctors found cancer in her routine mammogram. Teresa is one of the 1.4 million
people that will be diagnosed with breast cancer in 2011. The difference this
time is that Teresa is a friend. Before this diagnosis, she was healthy and
feeling great. Teresa is my age, from my hometown, and has small children, just
like me. Teresa’s diagnosis could just have easily been my own. THAT is why I’m
taking part in the Susan G Komen 3-Day for the Cure!

Teresa’s diagnosis has prompted me to focus my fundraising
efforts this year in her honor. She lives on the other side of the country from
me. I cannot offer to drive her to the chemo treatments. I cannot offer to
babysit her kids or prepare her some meals. Really, all I can do is to raise
money to fund research and support services for people fighting breast cancer. When
September 16th rolls around, I’ll be wearing a T-shirt with Teresa’s
picture. I hope to have the picture surrounded by ribbons representing the
donations received in her honor. Teresa will still be undergoing chemotherapy
treatments while I spend 3.5 long days working toward a cure. Today, Teresa is
a breast cancer survivor. I am working hard so that she carries that label for
another 50+ years.

I know that money is tight for everyone right now. I also
know that if given the choice between a dinner out with the family or possibly
curing breast cancer, you would all choose to cure cancer! Please take a moment
to think about how much a world without breast cancer is worth to you. No
donation is too small, but the larger the donation, the more of an impact it
will have.

To make a donation, simply go to www.the3day.org/goto/kimkuhne  and click on the button “click to donate to
Kim in 2011”. There is a place in the donation process for you to leave me a
message. If you would like your donation to be in honor of Teresa’s fight with
cancer, let me know here.  There are ways
that I can honor other survivors as well, just let me know.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Please feel free
to pass this on to others that know Teresa or others simply supporting the
fight against cancer. By working together, we can achieve a World Without
Breast Cancer!

-Kim
(Shenefiel) Kuhne

2x Walker, 3x Training walk leader, 2x Crew Captain for the Seattle
Susan G Komen 3-Day for the Cure

No comments:

Post a Comment